St Andrews School 1950's

11 years ago...

I stumbled across this rather impenetrable site. Not intuitive for the luddite, and obviously designed by supergeek.
However, what got my attention was the mention of St Andrews School, and the period of the 1950's.
I thought that I was the only person who could remember Mrs Durant, evidently not.
She was a very kind and great teacher ( I now realise), who inadvertantly started me on the road to the Arts and Crafts, which I have been involved in all my life, and still am.
It would be nice to share other memories of the School, its teachers and pupils, during the 1950's.
I think I started there in about 1951/2 and left for Surbiton Grammar in 1957. No happy memories from that place, I can assure you.
Some names of teachers which still are in my mind: Mr Horsley, Mr Charman, Miss Davis, Mrs Westlake, (who could wield a very stinging wooden ruler when required), Mr Mason, Mr Oettinger. But it is Mrs Durant that I think of not infrequently and with the greatest affection.
If you can remember, why not share your memories?
Peter

Comments

I was a pupil of this school from the age of 5 to 10 years of age and would love to hear from anybody who remembers me. I remember Mr Mason the headmaster, and Mr Horsley, but details of other teachers are vague. Any pictures of the classes would be fantastic
Thanks
Colin Boreham

OMG I am so happy to have found your post Peter. I attended a little later than you. I have such fond memories of St.Andrews. Mr. Mason was the principal and he treated every child with the utmost respect. Miss. Faulkner was my arts and crafts teacher and she is the one that developed my love for painting which I am happy to say I still do to this day. I too had Mr. Horsley for math and dancing. I found a magical quality would come over him when he would put on his accordion, play the Irish, Welsh and Scottish melodies as we learned not only to dance, but to work together with one another. And I also remember the delicious lunches! I learned so many wonderful life values from this school and many wonderful memories. I too went to Surrey Grammar and did not have fond memories. Only stayed at Surrey Grammar for year and then our family moved to Twickenham. Now I live in Canada :)

I remember That school. I went there from 1957 and I also remember Mrs Durant, also Mr Mason the headmaster and Mr. Horsley who had a crooked finger so you were never sure if he was pointing at you or the kid in front.

Assembly used to include Mr. Horsley playing a piece of classical music on a record player that had a wooden case. It looked very expensive.

Cheers

Mark

I was in the school a bit later 64 onward but Mr Horsley amd Mr Mason where still there. I will always remember Mr Horsley for playing the accordion at assembly. It was a marvelous start to life and I to still have a passion for the arts. I hope others do as well.

Regards
David Martin

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

By posting content on Surbiton.com, you agree to adhere to the following guidelines.

• Your username and password must only be used by you, keep them safe. If a posting is made using your username and password it will be considered to have been posted by you. If you have a friend who wants to use our site and post messages on the site, show them how to register.
  • Be courteous at all times, inciting racial hatred, posting abusive, obscene, threatening, harassing, defamatory, libellous or sexually explicit material or any material that is found to be offensive is not acceptable and we may suspend your username and password.
  • Retaliating to offensive posts causes more problems for other users on the discussion boards. Just report such messages to us using the Feedback link which is available at the top of every page or the 'report this' link associated with individual postings. We will act on every report we receive.
  • Please respect other people's work and do not post material that infringes copyright.
  • Do not post information that you know to be confidential or sensitive or otherwise in breach of the law. You should only post material that you know to be public knowledge. If you have any doubts do not post it on the site.
  • Never attempt to gain unauthorised access to any area of the site. This is known as hacking and is illegal.
  • Content posted represents the opinions of the author, and does not represent the opinions of Surbiton.com or its affiliates and has not been approved or issued by Surbiton.com. You should be aware that the other participants are strangers to you and may make statements which may be misleading, deceptive or wrong.
  • Spoofing or posing as another user is unacceptable. Anonymous users' postings should always be considered with suspicion.
  • Help keep Surbiton.com a safe place for information and opinion. Please alert us of any anti-social behaviour as described above.
Please note that Surbiton.com does not monitor the comments posted and we are therefore reliant upon users reporting antisocial behaviour.